Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Bucket List


I'd never really thought about making a list of things to do before I die until I saw previews for the movie The Bucket List (a film now on Nick's and my list of movies to see).




I think for most of the last ten years my only goal was to finish my story--at the time, The StarLion and The Golden Horse. I knew with assurance that I would not die until that was done. Besides, I'm not really that concerned about dying (free trip to heaven to see Jesus!) so I didn't think about it.



My Senior year of College I made a list of goals for the future. Most of them were personal goals rather than "things to do while I'm alive"--stuff like, "Finish Godsend" or "own a horse" or "have a writer circle"--though there were a few more interesting things like "learn to vault," "ride a camel" and "kiss in the rain."



Then I married Nick.



I married into an amazing bucket list. I don't even know what's on it, but with my boy's taste for adventure I know we're in for a very exciting life. We haven't even been married 6 months yet and we've already checked several things off his list--things I hadn't thought of putting on a list but realized that I'd kind of always wanted to do too.



Like "Go to Venice" "See the Pyramids" "Stay in a lighthouse" and "dance on the rooftops." Oh--and we rode camels! (And...kissed in the rain...not while riding camels)



Now that the idea is on my radar, I want to write down my desires--most of them I forget that I have (like, "learn to mount a moving horse") but I have actually had for a long time. I think it will make me pursue them, and it will make me much more aware when blessings come to pass.



I suppose if I had a New Years Resolution it would be to change the way I look at life-for the rest of my life. If I have something I deeply desire, pursue it. Duh. Life is much more satisfying if you pursue your God-given desires. He's not stupid, and He's much more fun than people give Him credit. (This is not to say He's not a serious individual--but "serious" and "fun" are not mutually exclusive. A fact which much of humanity has forgets, even if they live it.)



Do you have a bucket list?
 
-The Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment