Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lists and 80 day adventures

I once took a personality/gifting test that asked: "Do you constantly make lists?" Answer: Very True. (As a random aside; does it bother anyone else that so many of those tests have scales of "agree/strongly agree/disagree/strongly disagree" or "true/not very true" but questions that are structured for a yes or no, or perhaps a complete sentence answer?)

As a chronic list-maker, I have had a hey day with wedding planning. Last night I sat down with my legal pad and stuck 3 sticky notes of to do lists (with several duplicate tasks) and combined them into a schedule for the evening (two evenings, really).

A wedding generates lists like nobody's business--not only is it the biggest party you'll potentially ever throw but it has tradition mixed in. What traditions are you going to use? Why? What traditions will people flip out if you do/don't do them? (some of these decisions have been easier than others: No garter toss. That was easy)

You can even make lists of the things you need to make lists for. (Reception decorations, ceremony decorations, things to do the day before the wedding, things to ask Mom, things to ask Nick, etc, etc...)

I even put "make dinner" on my list. I should have put "eat dinner" on my list because then I could have had the satisfaction of scratching something else off my to do list. When it's just me at home, I really do need to put "make dinner" on the list otherwise I may forget, or it will get swallowed in all the other things I need to do (because they are on my list of things to do, and thus, get priority.)

In the midst of all of this list mania, I realized yet again that this blog hasn't been updated since the beginning of the month. I also remembered fondly all the brilliant ideas I've had for posts but didn't have time to write. (I was writing lists, sorry)

When we hit the 80 day mark I wanted to post about how Phileas Fogg went around the world in the span of time between that day and my wedding day. As I recall he met a girl, fell in love, and got married in that time frame too...See, Mom and Dad? A 6 month enagement isn't that short! ;-)

(blog post: check)

1 comment:

  1. I love lists! Frog and Toad made good lists too. get up, get dressed, eat breakfast... no comment on the length of engagement...hehe.

    ReplyDelete